Step By Step Instructions
Before You Start
- PLEASE NOTE: This cleaner is very effective when applied correctly. Due to many environmental factors, final results are NOT guaranteed to last up to a year.
- Be sure that the outside temperature is between 50°F and 85°F and rain is not expected during the cleaning process which should take approximately 3 hours depending on the size of your deck.
- DO NOT DILUTE THE CLEANER.
- One gallon of cleaner will clean approximately 100sq. ft. of decking and 20 ft. of railing with spindles.
- The cleaner should be tinted yellow, NOT a milky white color (shown below). Look in F.A.Q. to see the reasons your cleaner may go bad.
- If possible, remove all furniture from the deck, and sweep excess dirt and debris off the deck.
- Make sure the deck is completely dry before you start
Remove 1 cup of the cleaner and set aside for future use. Fill the pump spray bottle with the rest of the one gallon of the cleaner and apply a GENEROUS amount of cleaner on the decking material to be cleaned.
Let the cleaner soak in for 20 to 30 minutes, at this point it is alright if the deck dries.
After the cleaner has soaked into the decking for 20 to 30 minutes, prepare a solution for scrubbing. Pour one cup of cleaner and one gallon of water into a plastic scrub bucket. You may need 2 cups of cleaner and 2 gallons of water if you have a large deck.
Reapply the cleaner to the deck in small sections with a long handled bristled brush. The cleaner should begin to foam.
Once you have finished scrubbing the deck, rinse it off using a garden hose. If you wish to use a power washer check with your deck supplier/manufacturer for instruction on the use of a power washer. Please note that the Trex Decking Co. does not recommend using a power washer on their decking. If you are in doubt use a garden hose.
Use a squeegee to remove excess moisture and expedite the drying, or wait for the deck to dry on its own.
Once the deck dries, go back over the deck with another application of the cleaner using the spray pump to help inhibit mold re-growth. DO NOT DILUTE WITH WATER. This time, let the cleaner sit undisturbed until it dries. Once it is dry, sweep off any grity residue that may remain.
You have now completed the Deck Cleaning process. Rinse all cleaning tools with water and discard gloves.